WinR Stuff

Monday, October 5, 2009

Interview with Kate Carlisle


We are happy to have with us today Kate Carlisle, author of the Brooklyn Wainwright mystery series.


“Homicide in Hardcover” was your first bibliophile mystery, and “If Books Could Kill” comes out in February of 2010. Your character, Brooklyn Wainwright, is a book restorer. How did you come up with this unusual occupation?


From the time I was six years old, I’ve been making books. Granted, those early attempts were pretty pathetic. A raggedy piece of cardboard for the cover with a wobbly stack of lined school paper inside, all punched and held together with string. Very sad! But since then, I’ve taken numerous bookbinding classes and one of my dear friends is a master bookbinder. I also went through a period during which I collected rare and finely bound books and used to haunt the local antiquarian bookstores. I guess you could say I’m fascinated with books. So when I decided to write a new mystery series, the idea of a bookbinder, specifically a rare book restoration expert, as protagonist was irresistible. Thus, Brooklyn Wainwright was born. Unfortunately, whenever Brooklyn comes in contact with a beautiful rare book, somebody always dies.

You have a background in romance, and you can see it in the light, fun relationship that develops between Brooklyn and British security officer, Derek Stone. Do you think that mystery and romance are a natural combination?

Oh, absolutely! My favorite mystery series have always included a romantic interest (or two – Ranger and Joe, anyone?), going back to the days of Agatha Christie’s Tommy and Tuppence, then Cherry Ames and Nancy Drew. I think a touch of romance adds more dimension to any story. These days, I’m a big fan of Nancy Martin, Diana Killian, Kate Collins and Juliet Blackwell, among many other traditional mystery authors, and they all include a hunky hero in their stories—for which their protagonists are thankful, I’m sure.

As a writer, I most enjoy writing dialogue, and the flirtatious banter between Brooklyn and Derek is always fun for me. It’s my favorite way of developing their characters as well as advancing the plot. I always read the dialogue out loud to make sure it sounds natural. If I can make myself laugh, that’s a huge bonus.

And since I also write romance, I should add that a romance novel can always benefit from a touch of mystery or intrigue. All the best ones include both, in my humble opinion.

Brooklyn’s parents are members of a commune headed by Guru Bob, and her father and Guru Bob are a unique combination of spiritualism and successful capitalism. Where did these fabulous and funny characters come from?

Oh, dear. If I tell you I was once in a commune, will you be shocked? No, of course you won’t be. I was raised in California in the 60’s, after all! So yes, many years ago, I was involved with a spiritual and artistic community up in northern California where we also had a vineyard and a winery. I suppose you could say it was mildly successful. Additionally, my brothers were huge fans of the Grateful Dead and I was smart enough to tag along with them to a few concerts. It was amazing to get a peek inside that fascinating subculture and I loved using some of what I saw as background for Brooklyn’s parents. And then there’s my mother. She’s … hmm, unique! I couldn’t help using a bit of her personality when it came to writing Brooklyn’s mother. Anyway, I took all the bones of those people and experiences and created Brooklyn’s parents and family and friends and the wonderful Guru Bob.

These days, I warn my family and friends that anything they say or do may be stolen and used in my books. These days, they’re very careful around me!

When we left Brooklyn at the end of “Homicide in Hardcover”, she was on her way to England with Derek Stone. Does this mean we are going to see more of this luscious security officer? Are they set to solve mysteries as a team?

Definitely! I don’t think I’d want to write a book without dashing Derek! So yes, he’ll be back in book two to torment—or be tormented by—Brooklyn. And not to give too much away, but he’ll be back in book three, as well. I must admit, I really love Derek, and I think Brooklyn seems to like him a lot, too!

Have you any desire to set one of the series’ books in England?

Yes. And while it’s not quite England, the next book does take place in Edinburgh, Scotland, at an annual book fair along the Royal Mile. I was very excited to use that city as a backdrop for the series because it has such a rich history—and lots of ghosts.

Also, if the series continues to be successful (fingers crossed!), I’m hoping to set a book in Lyon, France, where there’s a world-renowned school of book arts. And I would love to set another one in London, perhaps centered around one of the auction houses there. We’ll see how it goes.

OK. I just about keeled over laughing when I read “All About Kate” on your website which chronicles your journey into publishing. It includes headings such as "When Good Things Happen to Bad Girls" and "Lying for Fun and Profit". Your parents had you marked as a telemarketer (excellent phone voice), a bookie (loved ponies), and a sales person (hawking chocolate bars to sailors). How do they feel about published author?

I’m so glad you enjoyed my biography. It’s all true, of course (ha ha!). Needless to say, my mother is absolutely thrilled that I’m finally published. (After twenty years, we all had our doubts.) But she’s my biggest fan now and at least once a week, she goes over to her local Barnes & Noble to check that my books are still there with the covers facing out. She also goes around giving my books to all the libraries in her area, which I heartily encourage. I have a large, extended family and all of them have been wonderfully supportive, showing up at my book signings, buying books to give to local libraries and hospitals, and talking me up among friends and co-workers. It’s great to have that kind of support.

What’s next for Kate Carlisle?

I’ve just started book three of the bibliophile mysteries, which takes place in San Francisco and the Sonoma wine country. Naturally, I had to do extensive research for that! I’ll also be taking lots of bookbinding classes over the next few months because for part of this book, Brooklyn will be teaching a master bookbinding class.

Additionally, I recently finished my first romance novel for Harlequin and I’ve just sent in a proposal for two more. I’m also involved with two group blogs every month so I’m always trying to write my entries early to keep ahead of schedule. And I’m very excited to be attending my first Bouchercon convention in ten years, in Indianapolis next week, so that should be fun.

Finally, book two of the bibliophile mysteries, IF BOOKS COULD KILL, will be out in February 2010, so I’m currently attempting to organize my life so that I’m not racing to meet a deadline while also trying to promote the next book. That way lies madness.

You can pre-order If Books Could Kill through Amazon.com, or visit Kate at her website.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Jackie and everyone! It's great to be here today. Thanks for having me.

    And wow, I just saw the beautiful review of HIH! That's very cool! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The series is a trip to both fun locations and with really great characters. Humor and mayhem. Does it get any better?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great interview!! Thanks so much! I'm really looking forward to the next book because I LOVED Homicide in Hardcover!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, I can't believe it took you so long to get published when you are sooo talented! But no worries, this series is already a success! I'm willing to follow Brooklyn anywhere!

    Unless Derrik wants to run off with me :-)

    A commune Kate? LOL!!!

    Serious question: Do you research the setting for each book?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, you turn up in the classiest of places! I really enjoyed your interview - you have such a sparkling style, both in person and in your writing. Oh, and I'm so excited about Brooklyn and the gorgeous Derek going international! Perhaps they should come to Australia. We have books down here... Shameless attempt to coax a visit, there! Congratulations on all your success - New York Times list with your debut book is absolutely mind blowing! Hmm, and now we're in commune territory again! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gayle, I love that combination of humor and mayhem. There are so many great authors who do it really well!

    Awww, thanks, Maureen!

    Hi Jen, thanks for stopping by. But, uh, keep your hands off Derek. :-)

    To answer your question, yes, I do like to research locations for each book. I've visited Edinburgh a number of times and love it so much, I was anxious to use it as the setting for one of the books. And of course, San Francisco is my second home. Still, I need to go back to get a close-up of the specific locales I intend to use in each book. You never know what cool idea will spring to life when you gaze down an alley in Chinatown or when you're walking along the Embarcadero. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings, Anna! You're so sweet to come by and say hello. Isn't this a lovely blog?

    Brooklyn and Derek in Australia? With books and everything? What a fabulous idea! I don't need much coaxing to visit. I'm already saving my pennies for the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview, Kate and Jacqueline! And a lovely review of Kate's book, Jacqueline.

    I loved HIH, Brooklyn, Derek and the whole concept of book restoration and mysteries surrounding it.

    Bandita Kate, wonderful book!

    Do you find writing for two lines/houses confusing? Or do you enjoy the break?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kate, love the interview!!! I love, too, the cover of IF BOOKS COULD KILL and am on pins and needles waiting for it to come out!!

    You know, I'm a little jealous that you lived in a commune. I used to wish I could live in one *g*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kate! What a great review and interview!

    I'm swinging over from the witchy blog over at Romance Bandits to say hi to you and all the Writers in Residence. *waving*

    I love GBPool's comment about humor and mayhem too, Kate. GBP, I personally don't think it DOES get any better than that. Bwah-ha-ha! Then again, I write suspense, so...

    Like Tawny said, I adore the cover for If Books Could Kill. Great title, great cover, can't WAIT for the book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kate!

    Aunty is peeking out of the deadline cave for just a moment to say how much I LURVED HIH! And the next time you are in the Napa/Sonoma area, you better give me a call!

    Can't wait to read IBCK.

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Banditas are visiting. Cool! Glad y'all found your way over here!

    Jo, I like writing for two different houses mostly for the break I get, switching between romance and mystery, but also because I write pretty fast, I guess, and I do like to keep busy and off the streets. ;-) And then there's the comfort of having my eggies in more than one basket. *g*


    Hi Tawny! I can see you living in a commune, you little earth mother, you! Maybe in an earlier life? ;-)


    Duchesse, thanks for taking a break from the witchy blog to say hi!!


    Aunty, I didn't know you lived near the wine country. I'll definitely call you next time I'm there and we'll lift a few! Now, back in your cave, missy!!


    Thanks again to Jackie and the WinR gang for having me here today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, kate and Jackie--what a fun interview! Kate, I didn't know these things about you. I suspect you're much happier as an author than you would be as a telemarketer.

    I loved Homicide in Hardcover and can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kate, sorry I'm late to the party but I wanted to congratulate you on the phenomenal success of Homicide in Hardcover (I love Derek, too!) I'm very much looking forward to the next in the series. I love that you've used all the people around you in your books. Isn't that wonderful that your mother is so supportive? Do you ever worry that she'll take offense about something your write?

    ReplyDelete